Just after Cataclysm came out I decided it was time to take a break from WoW. I had been playing since Vanilla and was just downright bored. After nearly two years away from the game I found myself curious about the new expansion. Pandas!? I mean, there are so many possibilities for Blizzard to turn into content, but I didn’t think it would be the Pandaren. Alas, it was, and I was finding myself itching to know more. I finally relented and bought the expansion and fired up my WoW account once again.
Some things hadn’t changed, others were incredibly different. For people who are coming back to the game, here are some things I learned either by accident or with the help of some friends that you might want to learn about too.
- Core Abilities Tab – This tab tells you about your most important spells, and when you should use them. Having been away for a while I found this tab to be awesome at refreshing my memory at how to play the various classes. You can find this under your profession/spell book page.
- What’s Changed Tab – There’s a tab that explains what recent changes have been made to your class. I’m one of those people that usually reads the patch notes in depth, but if I wanna get lazy about it I’m glad that this tab is there.
- Dungeon Journal – It’s like Atlas Loot, but also explains boss abilities, and information about a dungeon in addition to listing the possible loot. Extra bonus, it has filters to narrow down not only your class, but your spec, too! You can view this by pressing Shift+J.
- Pet/Mount Journal – There was a tab for this before, but now it’s got it’s own journal. In addition to simply being a place to access all your collections, it’s also the interface for pet battling. You can access this by pressing Shift+P.
- AOE Looting – This is one of those things I had to figure out. I was killing groups of mobs, but could only loot one. Gone are the days of looting every body, now it’s just one and done!
- Pet Battles – It’s like Pokemon, but in WoW! Remember all those vanity pets you collected up over the years? Now you get to battle other pets! You can even capture new pets in the wild. It even has a host of achievements to go along with it all.
- Daily Quests – Ok, daily quests aren’t new. In fact, they aren’t generally a favorite either, but the cap is now gone… and I have one friend who called this the “Expansion of Dailies” and I’d have to agree.
- Scenarios – It’s like a mini dungeon, but only requires 3 people, has a really short queue, and rewards you with gold and Valor points. These are great options for people who want to do something outside of the usual dungeon crawl.
- All the Usual Changes – All those things you expect to see in a new expansion such as new dungeons, gear, abilities, locations, profession changes, et all. I would love to list them all here, but that is something I’d like to expand upon more in another post.
For all that has changed, the game is still the same at heart. It’s a place to be social, have fun, and explore the lore that is Warcraft. I’m glad to be back and if you’re thinking about coming back, don’t forget about those Scrolls of Resurrection, if you qualify, you can automatically have a toon leveled to 80 for you. I’ll see you out in the World.
It’s been a very long time. For anyone checking back in that may have read in the past, thank you for checking up on me. For those of you who don’t know me, there’s a little bit of a story for you. I used to blog. It started with AltohoicMom, which evolved to Altoholics R Us. Twice my blog was hacked, and the second time I was unable to recover all the data. This was so infuriating, that I gave up blogging. Eventually, just after Cata released, I gave up on WoW, too. School, work, kids, and life in general kept me busy and I was content to stay without WoW for a while. However, I’ve finished my school program and currently am unemployed, so I’ve found time for WoW again, and with WoW, I found myself wanting to write again.
I don’t think I’ll start off as involved as I left off, but I’ll get there. For now I want to focus on the changes for players who may just be returning or those who are just starting out in Panda Land. I haven’t reworked my UI yet, and I haven’t gotten to play all my characters yet, but I have done enough that I feel I have a leg to stand on. So please do check in, I’ve got some great ideas for your reading pleasure!
This time around I’m letting WordPress host the site, as apparently I am not the greatest at ensuring the security of my own site. Maybe I’ll get up to self hosted later, but for now we’re stuck with WordPress themes. Sorry for that but I’ll do what I can with it. Regardless welcome back to Altoholics R Us, I’m excited and you should be too!
Well readers, update your URLs and your RSS feeds! Altoholics R Us have officially moved to a brand new home, because, well, it was time to self host! Along with the move comes the introduction of a brand new author, and a suprise announcment. Make sure you don’t miss out on the fun!
I have a fan, who knew? Kidding. Obviously there will be readers, but every now and again, I find one I didn’t know about before that has a blog of their own. Today’s blogger is Ruhtra of Holy Shock who tagged me in a little meme. So I’m gonna do this meme, but before I do, let’s give a little shoutout to Ruhtra! Ruhtra’s blog Holy Shock is a personal and interesting read into the life of a holy pally, but often his own thoughts and opinions weigh in heavily, and it is easy to relate to him on his topics. I can tell this blog is gonna be a good read, and I look forward to seeing more of it!
And now for the meme
7 Awesome Blogs To Read (That I Award): (In no particular order)
1. Big Red Kitty — Expected? Maybe. But I don’t even play a hunter, and I’m fairly convinced I could tell you all about it thanks to him. I especially love the little pieces where he argues with himself or when he talks about military matters. BRK is an enjoyable read, even if you don’t play a hunter.
2. Egotistical Priest — And here I thought I was full of myself. Ego has a lot of information to take in, but it’s written for the newcomers and the old. Ego has such a way of adding a humor twist to the posts that you just can’t help but enjoy them. A great read.
3. Lady Jess — I link her a lot, but I just love her views on WoW. Jess has the uncommon ability to find the smallest details in this game we overlook so often. It’s always refreshing to go there and see what gem she’s found recently.
4. World of Matticus — I’m a healer. This is my go-to resource to find out the latest and greatest in game updates and in healing. Matticus and his team have researched far and wide to provide the best healer related information out there.
5. Actually, I give up here. I know so many bloggers but they’ve all been tagged already!
Now…. the second half….
1. I’m a terrible terrible homemaker. I’m sure you already knew that, but Im gonna state it again anyways….. TERRIBLE
2. I am in college right now, and I am maintaining a 4.0 GPA. So far I am only six courses in, but whatever, its a start.
3. Garen is the cook in our house…. though I can do minor cooking, I just never learned to be very good at it.
4. I was never very secure in my religion until recently. But I never lied about it, either.
5. I’ve held three jobs, and all three for a year or less each.
6. I am a diagnosed Bi-polar… and now they are making me take pills for it.
7. I have quit smoking 4 times, once for each pregnacy and once when I first married Garen. I quit quitting cause nobody likes a quitter! (actually the pills from above are also a quit smoking aid! I really AM trying for the 5th time)
8. I’m only just now believing that I might be intelligent after all.
9. I am terribly insecure about how I look and how people see me. I constantly worry about the image I make and am always walking on egg shells to make sure everything is pleasant.
10. Despite the fact that they are just terrible for you, I drink an Amp every morning. Its a habit I started at 16 when Garen demanded I never drink coffee again (and I don’t!)
Did you ever see that quest? If you ever played a Draenei, I bet you have. It’s the first one you get when you start the character. The quest sticks out in my mind because my good friend Denny picked it up his first day playing the Alliance and read it to us. “You Survived…… YESSSSSS!”. Trust me, it was rather entertaining.
So yes, I survived my surgery. As I said, it was minor, and though I am uncomfortable still, I am fully functional, and able to get back to posting. I have been playing WoW still in my absence and have managed a few achievements. My guild did finally clear Naxx10, they also downed new bosses in 25, namely, Gluth and Four Horseman. However, we’ve hit our brick wall with Thaddius. It doesn’t help that our tanks keep taking off. We’ve lost five in a very short amount of time. Most of them have left for bullshit reasons, others, well… I’m just gonna stay out of it, thats how bad it is.
The officer situation is getting a little tense. It nearly always does at some point or another. I had to kick one officer for just flat out being a dick. However, one of the four GMs is having some, well… she said she needed a break, but with all the time she is spending on Garrosh, I’m inclinded to think otherwise.
I’m so proud of the guild lately, and frusterated at the same time. We’d made progress, good strong progress, but no matter that fact people still got grouchy, still got upset that we weren’t as elite as they wanted the guild to be, and of course, those that were the most pissed off about it have left, the rest… well, they bitch a lot but they keep on truckin.
I’m so proud of the ones who keep going. Even the ones who complain.
However, it’s getting to the point where if we dont burst through that brick wall soon, there wont be enough bodies to break through it ever. I keep trying to express that, but no one seems to listen. Honestly its like a selfish spoiled only child who sees his neighbor’s shiny new toy and forgets the one in his hand.
Yeah. I’m ranting. I don’t think I’ve ever done much of that before.
Good news, though. We’ve gotten our orders, and we’re moving out of Alaska this summer. We’re taking a good old fashioned road trip to our final stop in Cheboygan Michigan. Yeah… you heard right, Michigan, not Wisconsin, and yes, it’s almost exactly the same as Ketchikan… except it’s got roads, and thats all I need.
So we’ll be taking a trip, from May 27th until July 15th. We’ll be stopping in Bremerton Wa, Bosie ID, Salt Lake City UT, Great Bend KS, Des Moines IA, Milwaukee WI, and Green Bay, WI. If you know of any awesome sights or eats along the way, let me know ok?
Also. My DK hit 80 tonight. Bout Freakin’ Time.